Sunday, December 18, 2011

the more you know, the more jokes you get

If there's some joke or other allusion - a reference in a newspaper column, or an editorial cartoon, or something of that nature - that one of us doesn't get, the following is true:

1. If I get it, and B. doesn't, it's about politics.*

2. If she gets it, and I don't, it's about pop culture.**

3. If neither of us gets it, it must be about sports.***

*This is true. On our first trip to Britain together in 1995, I had to explain to her who John Major was.
**This is true. Recently she's had to explain to me who Kim Kardashian and Kanye West were.
***This is true. Neither of us had any clue about a joke in today's editorial cartoon referring to something called "tebowing". (Yes, I have since looked it up, but both the action and its namesake were complete news to me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment