Monday, July 22, 2013

Grania Davis book release party

Grania Davis was having a book release party, and she's a favorite of mine, so I hopped it up to Borderlands yesterday afternoon. It's a short story collection - short story collections are my favorite form of sf, but they're hard to find and getting harder - so I was determined to come home with a copy. I thought I would just sit in the audience quietly as she read, but it didn't work out that way. Almost everybody there was a personal friend of hers, she was delighted to see them all, and she even had us all introduce ourselves. At my turn, I said, "I first encountered Grania when I read The Rainbow Annals. Then we met in person, and we've been running into each other at parties, SF cons, Beowulf readings, and suchlike events ever since."

Many of the attendees I also knew, or soon met, and I wound up having much more conversation than I'd expected or was geared up for, which is why I silently disappeared immediately afterwards. Dick Lupoff was the editor of this book and responsible for its publication, and he introduced Grania, who read bits out of the autobiographical introduction (the story of Phil Dick and the Versailles throne, the story of Avram Davidson and the tiger iguana) and a story titled "To Whom It May Concern", which is the funniest Jewish-dialect monologue since Carol Carr's "Look, You Think You've Got Troubles".

Speaking of which, Carol Carr was also there, and Dick Lupoff incautiously revealed that an upcoming project is publishing a collection of her writings. So I told them both that I will be first in line to buy a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment