Saturday, August 20, 2016

Hugo report

Just got through watching the better part of the Hugo ceremony on the streaming channel. The winners, please.

This was an amazing year for me as a voter, but I guess that's because I was there to follow the crowd. No fewer than ten of my first-place votes won, in another three the second place, and only in one category that I voted in did it go to someone below that, and I'm not at all unhappy with the winner.

What it mostly means is victory over the Rabid Puppies, which is what I paid my supporting membership fee to do, and special note to Hugo winners Neil Gaiman and N.K. Jemisin, whose speeches (both read in absentia) specifically went out of their way both to criticize the R.P.s and to observe that they don't represent fandom or the community.

I will not be the first person to point out that all four of the fiction winners are women, and that three of them are non-white. Take that, those who oppose diversity but claim that we're the ones who oppose it.

A job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment