Saturday, June 27, 2020

cube shelving

The wooden pressboard stackable cubes that I use to store the material for current and continuing projects were rather precariously balanced in the first place, and have finally fallen apart after at least 20 years use.

Besides spilling debris everywhere that I now have no place to put, they created a need for a replacement. So, for my first shopping outing since the virus shutdown that wasn't for food, pharmaceuticals, or hardware, I drove to the container store at Santana Row for a replacement. Social distancing was strictly enforced, and in fact I had to abandon my first attempt because of the line to get into the store that didn't look like it was about to get shorter any time soon.

There were several possible items, and on advice I bought two wooden structures composed of four vertically stacked foot-square cubes each. They came unassembled, in boxes, which did mean I could (barely) fit them in my car, but I also had to assemble them, and in my condition that was a slow and painstaking process. Day one: drive them home, leave them overnight in the car. Day two: unpack the boxes outside and bring them piece by piece inside to the living room. Day three: carry them piece by piece upstairs, where my office is, but take them to the master bedroom instead. Day four: assemble them on the bed. Day five: move them into the office.

We're on day four now. Fortunately the instructions, though wordless, were not hard to follow. Lots of dowels and cam locks. Only tool required, supposedly: a screwdriver, though I ran into a snag with the little screws intended to fasten the back panel on. There are holes in the panel, but none in the wooden structure it's to be attached to. I guess you're supposed to drive the screws straight in, but that trick never works. I need pilot holes. Retrieve ancient power drill that my father gave me when I left home. Select appropriate-sized drill bit and attach. Put on glasses for safety. (I wonder if the men who think they're too macho to wear masks in the time of virus also eschew safety glasses when using drills.) Plug in the cord, make the little holes, scare off the cat. Continue where you'd left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment