Thursday, September 1, 2022

BISQC, day 4

It looks like tonight's "alumni concert," where the two ensembles that shared first prize at the previous Banff quartet competition return to play a little Brahms and Schubert, is not part of the livestream.

So I can report from today on this morning's final concert of the "romantic round." I'm glad I got to hear Mendelssohn's Op. 13 twice yesterday, but the unquestionable winning entry of this round was the Dior Quartet in Dvořák's Op. 106. When players bring the utmost in enthusiasm and dedication, Dvořák can be wonderful and captivating instead of slightly dull. The drive in here, and the percussive snaps, made this one run.

Quatuor Agate in the Ravel quartet was also very good, clear and crisp in a way I wasn't expecting, and the Isidore Quartet did well by Brahms's Op. 51 No. 2, which they gave the real Brahms flavor to.

So with nothing else to watch, I can return to the increasingly dismaying sensation of watching Amazon's The Rings of Power. More on that when I finish the available material, if I ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment