Wednesday, March 15, 2023

concert review: Vienna Philharmonic

Once again, the most renowned orchestra in the world has come to just about the worst large auditorium in my area. And I was sent to review it.

The selection of works - Brahms and Mendelssohn - was delectable. The sound quality was beautiful, though the acoustics did their best to negate that. The conducting was wayward and eccentric. I've heard a lot better from the VPO in other hands. I fancy they might have done better with Strauss's Alpine Symphony the previous night; it's the kind of work that might respond to this approach. But how Bruckner's Eighth, which requires the most careful of shaping, came out the next evening I shudder to think.

This was an unusual form for a review from me, because - concentrating on the sound quality - I discussed the concert as a whole instead of the pieces individually. How I knew the word "intercalary" I can't remember, but it must have been right because the editors left it in.

2 comments:

  1. Joshua Kosman and Zachary Woolfe's reviews make it clear that the Strauss was excellent. I am sorry that you didn't say that the conducting in the Mendelssohn - Brahms program was wayward and eccentric. It sure was, and you could reasonably have put it more strongly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I made that clear enough, using other words.

      Delete