Wednesday, September 6, 2023

give me destruction

Our dining nook has a glass outside wall, with sliding glass door in it, that faces a concrete patio in front of our house. The patio has a wooden slat fence around the other three sides, with a gate in one corner, and a stucco facing on the outside of the far wall.

We don't use the patio much, although once we had friends over for B's birthday and did some of the festivities out there. Mostly it's a home for our trash bins.

The fence has been a problem. The gate sags and has already been replaced once. More recently the slats from the fence have started coming loose and falling off. I was thinking about hiring somebody to replace them - it'd be beyond my skill - but now I don't have to.

The association for the townhouse complex we live in has decided to replace all the fences. Work started today. We're at one end of the complex and they started with us. All this morning, men were knocking down the fence, sawing up the stucco with a battery diamond saw, and hauling it all away. Not only did they appropriate the patio, which they'd warned us of, they also took over our parking spaces and driveway, which they had not warned us of. B. was out and I had to phone to alert her.

They seem to have gotten most of that done, and have started on our neighbors, but there's still a lot of trash around. I suspect they'll gut all of the fences before they start building new ones. Meanwhile our cars are parked way out on the street. It'll be no fun bringing groceries in.

Also, our house number was on metal digits attached to the stucco. They saved that part - I saw them do it - but it's no longer up. I know that the post office disapproves of delivering to homes without visible numbers, so I printed out our number very large - 256-point seemed to do - and taped it with packaging tape to the garage door just over the mail slot. I hope that will do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment