Tuesday, August 25, 2026

ghost at Worldcon

The Worldcon is coming up, but though it's only a few hundred miles from here, I'm not going. Remembering from past LA Worldcons the sheer expanse of the Anaheim Convention Center, I don't think I'm any longer up to the expenditure of space and of time that goes with attending a Worldcon.

But I will be there virtually, for at least part of the con. I was contacted by programming and decided to volunteer. So I'll be on four all-online panels, all of them on Saturday. I'm moderating two of these, "Memories of the Worldcons Past" and "Writing Fantasy in Real Worlds," and will be a panelist on two others, "Fandom as a Found Family" and "Foundational Fantasy You Should Read." I'll try to report on these after they happen.

Because they're online and panelists can be anywhere, these programming tracks run 24 hours. My first panel is at 4.30 am. At the` time I signed up for programming, this would have been fine, being about the time I'd get up anyway. But in the last few weeks, it's been just after I finally fall asleep. I don't know what's going to happen, but the last time I tried to get up in the early morning, I was groggy and exhausted all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment