Thursday, June 27, 2019

comment

This is only for people who are interested in and care about the Hugo Awards.

Read John Scalzi's "On Being Denounced, Again (Again)" and the editorial to which it replies.

Here's my comment:

Oh dear. I know the author of that editorial personally, and I've often had major disagreements with her. I have also been an active member of the elitist sub-group of fandom which she represents, and on behalf of it I wish to apologize for the attitudes she expresses.

I do bear some resentment when new fans come in and tell old-timers how WE should change our behavior and established customs to suit THEM, but this is different. We don't own the Hugos, we never have, and by the standards she's using, the Best Fan Writer Hugo was broken in 1968, so don't worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment