Saturday, April 17, 2021

out in the world

It's only been 5 days since my second vaccination, so technically I ought to hold off for another week-plus, but today was the day when it happened: B's cousin and his wife were in town and wanted to see us, so together with B's sister and her husband we gathered, three couples, for an early meal at a brunch restaurant with outdoor seating. Not counting B's Socially Distanced String Quartet last summer, it was my first in-person social event in 13 months, and my first meal in a restaurant in just as long.

The seating, on a front patio, was about a dozen tables in a tent open at both ends and on the side facing the building. Only one or two other tables were occupied when we arrived at 10 a.m., opening time, but they were all pretty much full by 11. The temperature was coolish, enough that I wished I'd had my jacket but didn't really need it, and the air circulated but without a strong breeze. Not everybody at most tables was vigilant about putting their masks back on after they'd finished eating, which I was not so happy about.

The food was good, the conversation gratifying, and we were out after an hour and a half. No plans for anything more until July, when with luck I'll hear some live professional music-making. More about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment