Saturday, August 29, 2026

Worldcon day 3 part one: two panels

I had two online panels in the early wee hours this morning, at just about the time when I normally would finally fall into actual sleep. I didn't do that; instead, it looks as if I'm going to be tired, but without actual sleep, all day. At least I stayed awake and alert for both panels. But my camera wouldn't turn on for either panel, and nothing the tech staff did would fix it.

"Fandom as a Found Family": We all agreed that fandom is, or has been, a refuge for friendless children on the autism spectrum, and that the biggest obstacle is the lack of introductory social skills by many fans. Formal introductory material - panels explaining cons to new attendees, guidebooks to lingo and customs - are filling in the gap.

"Memories of the Worldcons Past": Mostly wound up as a comparison between Worldcons of the 1980s and today. Fewer opportunities to run into big names casually, but more caffeeklatches to meet them in small groups. (Again, formal introductory material filling in the gaps.) More dazzle. A feeling that Worldcons, although they haven't shrunk in size, are now the smaller siblings of the likes of DragonCon and Comic-Con.

No comments:

Post a Comment