Thursday, June 16, 2016

uncaptured

There's a novel that very few people have read, but everyone who has read it, loves it. Except me. That novel is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I didn't hate it, I just did not find the characters interesting or relatable.

In an effort, which I've sometimes found successful in the past, to use the movie as a way into a book I've found difficult, I watched the movie adaptation, which is now 13 years old. It had its charms, but it reinforced my feeling that the problem of the two young women at the center of the story is lack of self-awareness. The movie's tagline is "You can't choose who you fall in love with," but the unintended lesson of the story is that if you pay attention, you can figure out what's going to happen to your feelings, something I've certainly found true in my own experience.

The field of view which these two young women have before them is filled with three handsome hunks, and what I found most interesting about the movie was spotting the actors who played the handsome hunks. They are:
  1. The guy who went on to play Superman in the recent Superman movies
  2. The guy who played Riley on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  3. The guy who, far in the wayback, played the kid in E.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment