Tuesday, February 7, 2017

concert review: San Francisco Symphony

I find on checking my records that, though I used to review the San Francisco Symphony often (and thereby once contributed the most prominent blurb to the ads for one of their concert recordings), it's been four years since my SFCV editor called me up and asked me to go.

He did last Wednesday morning. "Want to hear the San Francisco Symphony this weekend?" "I'm already going tonight," I replied.

I was going because it was conductor emeritus Herbert Blomstedt doing the big heavy stuff, which is what I most like to hear. It was the Ninth, the Ninth, and it was righteous.

And I arrived in the City early enough to have time for dinner at the place in Bayview that cooks your fried chicken to order from scratch. Yum.

Note: The video embedded at the bottom of the review is labeled "Herbert Blomstedt conducts Beethoven's Ode to Joy," but the music he's actually rehearsing in the video is from the first movement; the Ode to Joy is the finale, or more precisely most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment