Wednesday, September 11, 2019

something 11

One of the many purveyors of videos showing DT opening his mouth and having something odd come out showed him referring to 9/11 as "7/11." That's choice, but I don't have a link; instead:

Disturbing article on the trivial decisions that separated life from death on the day.

The story behind the trial that acquitted Joyce's Ulysses of obscenity. The article is by Michael Chabon, so not only is it immensely readable, but he compares the descriptions by those horrified of Ulysses to H.P. Lovecraft describing the Necronomicon.

Clear description of the beef public libraries have with publishers over e-book lending rights. B. reads a lot of library e-books, but I rarely do: I'll buy them, but I've found the hassles involved in library borrowing of them to be enormously dissuasive.

Also in the news, T. Boone Pickens has died. Back in the 1980s, when he was at his height of fame and/or notoriety, I was working at Stanford; and I was over at the Business School one day to have lunch in their cafeteria, when I saw a poster advertising a student drama production. It had a blurb on it: "I'll buy a ticket. In fact, I may buy all the tickets." - T. Boone Pickens

No comments:

Post a Comment