Wednesday, February 10, 2021

long drive

I drove to a public library 25 miles away to pick up that book I alluded to in my previous post, because they had it and nobody else around here did. That's a lot farther than I normally get these days. Along the way I listened on the radio to the impeachment proceedings. This was the part featuring videos with no sound, yes, so the experience lacked a little something. But I caught up with web clips after I got home.

But the main thrust was clear. This was by a large order of magnitude the most impeachable thing a US president has ever done, far more than anything by Nixon or Andrew Johnson. (Clinton was impeached for not doing anything impeachable at all.) To pass it off, even to declare it moot, is obscene. And it was no surprise: he'd been telegraphing it for months, and it's perfectly in character with his whole life's work; that's why some of us were protesting four years ago that he should never have been president at all. We weren't that prescient; it was obvious.

The combination of the long drive, the ornate if properly socially distanced procedures when I got there, and stopping off for takeout lunch at the great fish & chips place halfway there, was tiring in a way it wouldn't have been a year ago, and I kicked off for a long nap on returning home.

Awoke in time to make dinner with this versatile recipe:
1. Hunt down all the leftovers in the fridge, including veggies we're about to run out of.
2. Smell the older ones to make sure they're still good.
3. Dump them all in a pan.
4. Heat and simmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment