Monday, June 21, 2021

past events

Things I didn't mention at the time.

1. A week ago on the date of our anniversary, with my brother being in town, we held a reunion of the surviving members of our wedding party: my brother, B's sister and her husband. Only all of our parents were there then but are no longer with us. The celebration took the form of a post-pandemic dinner at an Italian restaurant, a place we'd liked before, but it's in the middle of a crowded downtown so parking was worse than I expected, and walking nearly half a mile back from the nearest parking space is ceasing to be in my repertoire. The other problem was that B's sister insisted on paying. This should not be so: they were our guests. But she arranged this before we got there, the rotter.

2. On the same day, the Tolkien Society held another one of its online trivia quizzes. Only about 50 participants, which is perhaps how I managed to come in fifth and have my nom-de-game on the big board at the end. Go me.

3. Our MythSoc discussion group met online to discuss another novel, The Way Between, by our next Author GoH, Rivera Sun. B, unusually, wasn't there - she was off practicing with her orchestra - and didn't even read the book, but she bought it on Kindle and gave it to me to read. No wild enthusiasm, but everybody rather liked the book: and for the first of a series, it ended at a good stopping place.

4. Next day I had a medical appointment, but I had a cough so they sent me home. Figured that in that case I should be tested for the virus - you can still get it even if vaccinated; our niece-in-law's parents both did - so I did that the next day. All clean. Anyway, by that day after the appointment, my cough, which had started the day before the appointment, had disappeared. Must have been just a cough.

5. Our play-reading online group, having wiped out A Midsummer Night's Dream and Thornton Wilder's The Matchmaker, has moved on to The Crucible, our first serious play since Anne of the Thousand Days. Serious, yes; dire, even; but at least not dour, like, say, Death of a Salesman. Full of scenes with like 13 people in a room, all of them talking at once, so a bit of a challenge to arrange for only four speakers.

6. Yesterday, online concert by Brocelïande, I think their first in this format. Usual delightful folk/Renaissance repertoire, with uneased comments by the performers on how odd it was to perform to a camera in an empty room instead of to rows of attentive faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment