Thursday, January 6, 2022

Frank Denton

I'd like to pay brief tribute to Frank Denton, whose death yesterday was reported on File 770. Many people, some of them known to me, have responded in the comments section on Frank as a mentor and friend in SF fandom, and I also was one who had such experiences.

I knew Frank best when I lived in Seattle. At that time he was in his 50s, though he looked older because his hair and beard were entirely white. He was as enthusiastic and involving as anyone much younger, though, so his senior status compared to us juniors never seemed awkward.

He was always friendly and welcoming. At his suggestion, I came to visit him a couple times at his home far out in the southern suburbs of the city. Our conversations were often about music, and he wanted to play me some records, in particular hoping to spark in me an interest in jazz - the André Previn trio from ca. 1960, that sort of thing - but it didn't take. My ears attuned to classical variation technique couldn't follow what jazz players did to a tune (Previn distinctly avoided bringing his classical sensibilities to jazz work).

I remember discussing this problem with Frank, and it was a good example of how I enjoyed my time and conversations with him. We stayed in touch occasionally for a while after I moved away, and I retain good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment