Wednesday, March 9, 2022

his best song

So recently I had cause to mention Irving Berlin in a comment, and that sent me off listening to videos of some of his songs, and that led me, as it inevitably does where Irving Berlin is concerned, to Annie Get Your Gun, the show which as far as I'm concerned has all his best songs in it.

And that led me, in turn, to discover what I must consider the very best performance of his very best song, Reba McEntire as Annie O. lamenting that you can't get a man with a gun. You may think this over-the-top, but I find it funny and very much in character.



And here's another one, with Reba in equally fine form, in a song you might not have heard because it was added for a 1966 revival. Resemblances to "Oh Happy We" from Candide are probably coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment