Friday, March 31, 2023

two concerts

1. What was I doing listening to MTT conduct the SFS in Mahler's Sixth? Normally I avoid late Mahler whenever possible, and the fact that I had a ticket on the series doesn't explain it. I skipped out when I had a ticket on the series to these same performers in this very symphony on what turned out to be the week after 9/11. A famous concert, I later read, which provided some much-needed catharsis. But, knowing the music, I doubt it would have worked for me.

Perhaps I came this time because last week I heard Hans Rott's symphony, acknowledged progenitor of early Mahler symphonies, a slightly different kettle. Mahler is a great orchestrator, that's clear: his music is never muddled, no matter how many things are going on. And the final three bars of this symphony are thunderously effective. But that's not a lot in an hour and a half. For the most part I found it meandering, inconsistent in tone and style, jerking around between moods - in short, Mahler. I began to miss Rott's straightforward and consistent style compared to this. For tragedy, the intended conclusion, it was as nothing compared to the towering darkness of the finale of Moroi's Third.

2. Or, for tragedy, how about this which I just reviewed? Chamber music by four composers killed in the Nazi Holocaust.

3. A fond farewell on the passing of Leslie Smith: dramatic soprano, singing teacher, auld acquaintance from Ann Arbor, someone whose company I enjoyed but wish I'd known better.

1 comment:

  1. I might have guessed that you were at the Mahler concert because it was MTT and, although he is scheduled for four weeks of concerts next season, who knows whether that is overly optimistic?

    ReplyDelete