Thursday, October 26, 2023

four candles

At least. That's what B. was gathering in mid-afternoon on Tuesday in case our power, which had been out all day, didn't come back on. (Not misheard, thank you Ronnies.) In the event we didn't need them, as power returned by 4 PM, but the news from the utility had been only to give times for the next estimate (which they did keep to), plus the interesting if not particularly useful information that it was a small local outage caused by an equipment failure.

It did cause me a dilemma, as I had a mostly finished concert review on my computer that I needed to turn in that morning. I wound up phoning the repair shop where I usually take my computers and asking if I could bring in my CPU, plug it into their accessories, and strip this one file off onto a portable USB drive. They said fine and set me up. It took longer to boot up the computer than anything else.

I then took the portable drive into the public library's computer banks, edited it there, and sent it off by web mail, and here it is, a report on how the St. Lawrence String Quartet is doing a year after its first violinist, the fabulous Geoff Nuttall, died. A little sedately, but they're managing.

At least for now, they've turned themselves into a chamber collective, inviting guest performers in to play works for various instrumental combos. This time they brought in their own former other violinist and his wife, a violist, and played a 2-viola quintet. They've done stuff like this before, even when Geoff was alive, and they've also done a lot of piano quintets and the like. So there's a pathway here, on top of their not being the only ex-quartet to have kept itself going in this manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment