Tuesday, November 7, 2023

concert review: Sitkovetsky Trio

This was a challenging concert to review, because I realized as I sat down to write that I didn't have much to say about it. It was a decent performance. I settled on emphasizing that I thought some of the pieces worked better than others.

My editor had alerted the staff not to waste space on long explanations of the California Festival that many of this and next week's concerts that we're covering are part of. We've published some feature articles about the festival and people seeking details can go there. Basically it seems to be a designation dropped on any concert this month with music associated with California in it.

And this one got it, despite 3/4 of it being the usual 19C European stuff, because the fourth work is by the contemporary Julia Adolphe. She wasn't born or raised in California, she doesn't live here now, but she was in LA for a few years when at grad school at USC, and that seems to make her enough of a Californian to make it worth slapping a California Festival label on this concert.

I didn't mention it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment