Monday, August 24, 2026

stupid stupid software creatures

There is one additional thing I'm using AI for, besides asking it to find words that I know but have slipped my mind. And that is, finding commands or fixing glitches in programs and apps. This occurs constantly.

For instance, the upcoming Worldcon is using Discord for its chat function, and while I've used Discord before when Mythcon employed it for the same purpose, I didn't much like it and it's been a long tiem since then. But as a panel moderator, I'd best use it, so I followed the con's advice to try it out and get used to it.

And then I had to ask Google AI, "How do you log off Discord?", a question I remember having to ask some help function on a previous occasion. The answer is that the log off command is hidden at the bottom of a non-obvious menu.

Sometimes the answer doesn't work, or it refers you to a command that I can't find where it's supposed to be, so I resubmit the question with "I've done X" or "There is no Y" added in. The following is an actual example from today of my adding no fewer than five "I've done X" to my original question because none of the previous answers worked.
in Excel, I've highlighted the cells I want to print, and I've cleared the print area, and I've re-selected the data range, and I've selected Set Print Area, and I've changed the print setting to Print Active Sheets, and the cells are not empty or hidden, but when I go to print them, I get an error message that says "we didn't find anything to print"
The actual solution turned out to be "close the program and start over," which hadn't occurred to me because I'd already tried that and it didn't work the first time.

If software makers had access to AI question logs concerning their products, they could learn a lot about what users can't figure out. In the meantime, these glitchy programs and their stupid user interfaces are as bad as AI.

No comments:

Post a Comment