Yesterday afternoon I went in for my flu and covid shots. Unlike others reporting this year, I did not feel seriously wiped out by the shots. But that may be because I was already so enervated that there was no more wiped out to get.
I've been using a cane when I walk for some years now. Originally it was a response to attacks of bursitis, arthritis, and other itises, but more generally it's to keep me steady on my feet, and not to wobble and fall over, which I have a tendency to.
But since my latest hospital stay, that's changed and I've entered a new phase of aging. Those four days of lying in bed doing nothing, plus two surgical operations, did seriously wipe me out, both strength and stamina, and I came home ready to curl up and forswear everything. Gradually I've been recovering just a little, and by pacing myself carefully and devolving to B. some household tasks that I'd thought I could still do until I tried them, like taking the trash bins to the curb for pickup, I've gotten to the point where going up and down stairs two or three times a day is manageable.
But I'm using the cane indoors almost all the time now, where previously I'd just held on to handy objects, and outside I have graduated to a walker, one of the cheap metal four-legged ones (but only two wheels! why not four?) which is much more stable and allows me to walk faster, though still very slowly, than with a cane.
Other complications, such as bags hanging off accumulating strange fluids, aren't worth much discussion (this is not supposed to be permanent, but I have to wait for my next operation), oh, and you know the stuff you take before a colonoscopy to clean you out? I've been chugging it by the gallon without much effect.
No comments:
Post a Comment