Sunday, August 27, 2023

going Ducato-wards

I did it. When I saw the Lamplighters' Il Ducato on its opening weekend two weeks ago, I was so delighted that I determined to go see it again on the closing weekend, though that was further away from home.

I was not expecting how much of the freshness had been due simply to not having seen this production before, and the performers, rather than inhabiting their parts more fully as I've been told happens during theatrical runs, seemed a little tired, and even went up on their lines a couple times. To be fair, they'd already done a matinee on the same day as the evening performance I saw.

But it was also clear that they conveyed the cleverness and wit both of the original and of this production. The audience was rather small but it was tightly bunched in the auditorium and very responsive to the performance. At the meet and greet afterwards I got to tell Lawrence Ewing, the lead performer as Coco (Ko-ko), that I'd enjoyed it so much the first time I had to come back for a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment