Monday, August 14, 2023

not going to the opera

Alex Ross writes about the Santa Fe Opera. He thinks he's being enticing, but he's not.

Mostly it's because he praises the open-to-the-outside amphitheater, which he compares to the Hollywood Bowl. I've been to the Hollywood Bowl. Once. My very strong reaction was "Done that; now I never have to come here again."

He also calls the Santa Fe Opera inexpensive; you can get a 5-opera season for $200. Maybe if you sign up far in advance, but the last time I was in Santa Fe, which was 12 years ago, I looked up the opera just out of curiosity, and found that for my dates I could have gotten tickets for La Boheme at about $100 a pop. This exceeded my desire to see La Boheme by about $100, so I didn't bother trying.

On the other hand, there's no fewer than 3 operas that San Francisco Opera is doing this season that interest me. But I'm terrified of getting a subscription because then they'll never stop badgering me to keep it. I go to one opera in a decade, which I did a couple years ago, and afterwards they kept phoning me until I forced them to stop. Maybe I'll get the livestream versions.

1 comment:

  1. I took a look at the Santa Fe web site, and you can buy a subscription right now that covers a set of the remaining performances.

    For San Francisco, I have found the box office very accommodating. I would phone them and say that you would like a three-opera choose your own sub AND you also want to be on the no-call list. I get phone calls reminding me about start times and that's all. But they also never need to remind me to subscribe.

    ReplyDelete