Thursday, March 18, 2021

English suites and others no. 41

Logically, the next suite on my list ought to be Richard Strauss's Dance Suite made of music by Couperin. But, unlike the similar suites by Italian composers I've already offered, I don't think this one is very good. (Here, you can listen to it if you want.)

Instead, I'm going either to go back considerably farther or forward more than a bit, and offer you a hearty wind band arrangement by contemporary American composer Patrick Dunnigan, of the most excellent Renaissance dance tunes, compiled by the 16th century Antwerpian publisher Tielman Susato in his book The Danserye.

I like Susato's music in any arrangement, but this one is the real sharp cheese. After buying the CD on which this is the first piece, I never went on to listen to the rest of the album: just kept repeating this.



Ingredients: La Morisque (0:00); Bergerette (2:08); Les Quartre Branles (4:35​); Faggott (7:19​); Den Hoboecken Dans (8:12​); Ronde & Salterelle (10:12​); Ronde & Aliud (11:51​); Basse Danse: Mon Desir (13:41); Pavane: La Battaille (15:52).

No comments:

Post a Comment