Saturday, October 30, 2021

concert review: San Francisco Symphony

Another week, another EPS-conducted concert. This one filled the hall rather more than the previous two did. Perhaps that's because Yefim Bronfman was on hand for the Beethoven Third Piano Concerto, which he played with charm and zest.

Also on the program, one hunk of string orchestra music and one of wind ensemble music. The first was Kongsgaard Variations by Anders Hillborg, supposedly based on a lyrical Beethoven theme, but it was buried so far as to be undetectable except in expressing a gentle mien throughout the piece. The latter was the "Happy Workshop" Sonatina by Richard Strauss, which didn't remind me particularly of anything even less than the Hillborg did of Beethoven.

Having had a nap that afternoon, I eschewed caffeine before the concert, but found myself, though not sleepy, tired and fidgety. Not a good state to appreciate music in. Also, I had practical problems both coming and going.

For a previous concert, I'd pre-ordered online and then picked up a fried chicken dinner from a boutique vendor that operates out of an industrial park garage slot just off the road inbound. The food had been of mixed quality, so I decided to try it again before judging. But though my order today went through fine, when I got there they were closed. Not out of business, just closed. Nobody there, no explanatory sign. I'm giving them till Monday (they don't claim to be open on weekends) to explain themselves, or else the blistering negative reviews are going up.

On the way home, huge construction-caused backup on the freeway. Got off, drove around the construction zone, got back on, only to find another such huge backup a few miles later. Switched to an entirely different route. Look, I take the freeway because it's fast and efficient. If it's neither, why bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment