Tuesday, October 5, 2021

concert review: Symphony Silicon Valley

On Saturday I did it. I went to a live symphony concert, my first in 19 months. The last one was the Bay Area Rainbow Symphony on 2/29/20, big work on the program Mendelssohn's "Scottish." This one was Symphony Silicon Valley, big work on the program Dvorak's "New World."

I was there to review it for SFCV. So that was another way in which this was a long-awaited refreshing.

SSV required masks and vaccination, but otherwise acted as if the pandemic was over. They didn't spatially separate the audience, they didn't forgo the pre-concert talk or an intermission. I decided not to trust to one of my interim cloth masks, but got one of the newly arrived 3M N95 masks I'd ordered online. It was actually more comfortable - the straps go over the head and under the chin instead of around the ears, and it's the only mask I've had yet which doesn't cause fogging up of the glasses.

I even treated myself to dinner out beforehand, at Poor House Bistro, which is about to be displaced by the encroaching Google Village, hopefully to reappear at another spot.

There will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment