Friday, February 4, 2022

conversation with my alternative self who actually follows popular culture

"So I see Jeff Zucker resigned. I'd seen his name occasionally as president of CNN. I'm sorry he's gone down in a semi-scandal, as I'd always thought well of him."

"Why?"

"Well, Airplane! was such a good movie."

"Airplane!?"

"Yeah. Leslie Nielsen, 'Don't call me Shirley.' You remember that movie."

"I do, but what's it got to do with Jeff Zucker?"

"He made it!"

"No he didn't."

"Yes he did. It was Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker, and he was one of the Zuckers."

"No he wasn't. Jeff Zucker was like 15 years old when that movie came out."

"He wasn't? Then who was?"

"It was Jerry and David Zucker. Jerry. Not Jeff."

"Oh. Oh. Oops."

"Is this like the time you wondered why Election wasn't listed among Renée Zellweger's films and only then realized that she and Reese Witherspoon were different people?"

"Yes."

"Or like the time James Taylor played at Obama's inaugural and you were surprised because you thought he'd died in a plane crash decades earlier? And only much later figured out that you were thinking of Jim Croce?"

"Yes. I'm still croggled by the discovery that 'Fire and Rain' and 'Time in a Bottle' are by different guys."

No comments:

Post a Comment