Friday, December 30, 2022

wuthered

I'd read that Berkeley Rep's production of a stage adaptation of Wuthering Heights (adapted by Emma Rice) was supposed to be good, so I bit the bullet and bought a ticket.

I've never read the book, and this isn't going to encourage me to do so. The story seemed to consist of an endless series of people wildly vacillating between loving each other and hating each other and then back again, with no rhyme nor reason explaining it.

Could have been an artifact of the condensation for the stage, but I've read too many 'fine literature' novels that are just like that.

Nevertheless, the production was extremely imaginative, and the performances vivid and energetic, so it didn't become too tedious.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know what their opinions would matter to you, but CSL and Arthur Machen thought highly of Emile Bronte's novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a different production by this group years ago and disliked it, so I skipped this. The novel is a great one: an extremely intense saga of multi-generation family violence and reconciliation. It is very difficult to put over on stage.

    ReplyDelete