Tuesday, April 30, 2024

end of the St. Lawrence

An announcement appeared in my e-mail and on the St. Lawrence String Quartet website:
After a one year hiatus following the death of founding violinist Geoff Nuttall, the members of the St. Lawrence String Quartet (SLSQ) today announced that 2023-24 will be the ensemble’s final season. They are continuing, however, to make their lives at Stanford University, where the SLSQ has been in residence since 1998 —performing, teaching, directing Stanford’s chamber music program, and producing their annual Chamber Music Seminar, in addition to pursuing other musical projects.
Well, there's more to the press release than that, but I guess that means they will no longer be giving concerts under the St. Lawrence name, with the three of them plus various guest musicians. I've been going to the public concerts of the Chamber Music Seminar, at which the St. Lawrence musicians host but usually do not perform. I've heard solo recitals by the cellist, but I haven't heard the others without a St. Lawrence label. So I don't know what they're going to do in place of what they have been.

I'll miss the group, but really the group was lost when Nuttall died, and everything since then has been a quiet afterlife. Anything that follows will be more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment