Friday, August 27, 2021

Latin lingo

So I'm used to various Latin terms and abbreviations in scholarly papers, but the paper I'm editing now had one I'd never seen before and wasn't even sure what it meant. I couldn't find it in a dictionary for any relevant meaning, and it wasn't in any guide to Latin scholarly terms I checked online, which is enough reason for getting rid of it. My colleague was eventually able to track down its meaning, so we just translated it.

I'm not going to reveal it, because this post isn't about that. It's about a very impressive Latin terms guide that I checked. This is, for instance, about the clearest explanation of the difference between e.g. and i.e. that I've seen.

The main page has links to a number of other useful guides. They go not just into the rules, but why in actual practice you'd want to do one thing rather than another. When to use first person; how to paraphrase without plagiarizing; when it makes sense to use the passive voice; and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment