Tuesday, August 17, 2021

so much for that idea

In an earlier post, I wrote regarding the California gubernatorial recall, "I expect some advice to be coming for those of us opposed to the recall for whom we should vote for as the replacement should it pass anyway. So far all I've seen are polls, which aren't advice, and one columnist suggesting that we write in the name of the Lieutenant Governor."

However, my friendly neighborhood retired California county election official, Mr. Speth, informs me that "Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis has not registered with the Sec. of State as a write-in candidate. Write-in votes for her will not be counted. Probably just as well; how many people could spell her name?"

So now I'm at a complete loss as to who to vote for, since none of the 43 or whatever listed candidates are actually worthwhile.

Nor am I inclined, as some advocate, to withhold my vote in protest against the recall system. It's not as if the recall were a consumer product, with a recall factory ready to manufacture more if customers buy what's already on the shelves. The connection between a low vote on replacement and discouraging future ones is just too tenuous. The way to discourage recalls is not to have signed the petition, and I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment