Friday, December 15, 2023

Bob Johnson

Word has it that Bob Johnson has died, aged 79. He was for many years the lead guitarist and frequent vocalist for Steeleye Span, and was the monger who provided the band with Long Lankin, King Henry, Alison Gross (all of these are rare videos of live performances with Bob in them, with him giving lead vocals in the latter two), and many others.

All those silly songs about fairies and elves - I've given them up. I've had enough.
Because I've grown up now, I'm much bigger, I've moved on to bigger things.
Giants. I'm going to sing about giants instead.
One day they're going to carry me away, you know; they're going to take me off the stage with a walking stick.
Anyway, until they do, I'm going to sing about giants.

- Bob Johnson, introduction to Longbone

No comments:

Post a Comment