Friday, December 29, 2023

concert review: Vienna Teng

Vienna Teng was the only non-classical performer at the memorial event for Geoff Nuttall. I was not previously aware of her work. She's a singer-songwriter who performed a song of her own composition at the piano. I liked it, so when I learned she'd be playing at the Freight, I decided to go.

It was an hour and a half of requests, taken by having been written on paper slips and deposited in a bucket before the concert. They did not include the song I'd heard before. Most played at the piano, a few involving turning to various electronic gadgets. The only song I was familiar with was the one cover version, "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and the general mien of that song - serious, hopeful, attractive to listen to - gives an idea of what the rest was like. It was very good, I enjoyed it, and it could have gone on longer without my getting itchy.

Preceded by an opening act of a duo who collectively call themselves The Singer and the Songwriter (Rachel Garcia, singer; Thu Tran, guitarist; they're actually both the songwriters). Same sort of thing, only not as incisive, but also occasionally funny, as in a song titled "How to Write a Song."

No comments:

Post a Comment